Sunday, January 10, 2010

Only 100 more steps to take - where would you go?

About 15 years ago I first met (Master Artist) LeRoy Clarke as he addressed a group of secondary school students at the Fyzabad Composite School - I was a bit turned off by the way he spoke to the students and some years later when I was asked to meet with the man, I couldn't hold back from telling him that I found him to be a bit impatient. To my relief he laughed it off and in short time, I began to feel a sense of comfort in his (intimidating) presence... and now I looked forward to another meeting, with less concern about the project that had brought us together and more about this interesting individual - Master Artist, Poet, Elder, National Heritage, Chief... and the unknown possibilities of this new interaction.


Our meetings turned out to be totally new dimension of learning for me and today I share with you one simple but very profound question that he posed to me: "If you had only 100 more steps to take, where would you go?" (maybe not his exact words, but pretty close)


I really cannot even begin to capture Clarke's explanation of this question, but suffice it to say that it got me thinking about all of the 'steps' in life that we take... often because we take it for granted that we have an unlimited number of 'steps' available to us. We go here, there and everywhere... often with no real sense of direction... no real sense of purpose. 


In my mind, Clarke's question really challenges us to live a more purposeful life - to take more deliberate 'steps'. Of course, if Clarke got in on this blog, he would probably have a totally different explanation of all of this - as he often told me when I couldn't understand his writings/discourse - you don't always have to be searching for purpose/meaning, sometimes you just need to appreciate things for what they are... 


So, today I ask the question to you, if you had only 100 more steps to take, where would you go?


+ve vibes,
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment